Tuesday, January 28, 2014

About the design philosophy

My goal is to design and build my own groove box. My top priorities with this project are:

1. Make the UI and workflow quick, intuitive, easy and fun to use.
2. Make the groovebox sound good.

Basically my intention is to create a piece of music making gear which does one thing and it does it really well. I want to use this machine actively in my own music productions, so the workflow is super important for me.

I don't care about music gear doing everything imaginable. If the machine ends up doing a lot more than intended without cluttering the UI/usability, then so be it. It's left to be seen how all this works out. I'm still in the middle of the design process.

The initial specs for the machine are:
- A monophonic groovebox.
- Analog/digital hybrid dual layer oscillators.
- At least 16 steps per pattern.
- The results should sound "pro" without additional processing or layering.
- Workflow has to be quick, intuitive, easy and fun.
- The UI should suit both studio and live work.
- Users shouldn't need instructions to get the hang of the machine.

I'm working on this project during nights after work days at my day job. This usually causes unforeseen delays in my personal work rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment